Kettleshulme

Slideshow

Kettleshulme is a pretty village lying in the valley of Todd Brook, which meanders its way from the western slopes of Shining Tor to join the Goyt at Whaley Bridge. The Swan Inn in the village dates from the 15th century.

Kettleshulme was once a centre for the manufacture of candlewick material, but this ceased in 1937. In the 19th century it was home to a character called Amos Broadhurst, whose beard grew to a length of seven feet.

Jenkin Chapel
Jenkin Chapel
The area around Kettleshulme offers fine walking. To the north it is quite easy to walk from the village over the Bowstones and into Lyme Park. The views from Bowstonegate are particularly fine on a clear day. To the west, the route over Taxal Edge leads into the Goyt valley. To the south lie Windgather Rocks, a gritstone edge popular as a training ground for rock climbers. The edge past the rocks leads to The Pym Chair and Cat Tor before eventually reaching Shining Tor. It is a superb day walk. There is a Youth Hostel along the narrow road to Windgather.

Dunge Valley gardens lie just to the west of Wingather Rocks and is well worth a visit, especially in the rhododendron season.

Higher up the valley of Todd Brook is Saltersford, a tiny hamlet on one of the old packhorse roads between Macclesfield and Buxton. Saltersford Hall farms a remote tract of moorland below Cat Tor and Shining Tor and is dated 1593. Just around the corner is a tiny parish church, called Jenkin Chapel, which was built by John Slack in 1733 and is named after a contemporary sheep drover.
 

google plus

facebook


/places/townalbum.php Photo Gallery - click on the images to enlarge- Click Here for a slide show
Goyt Valley - Grimshawe chapel
0 - Goyt Valley - Grimshawe chapel
Bowstones
1 - Bowstones
Kettleshulme - Windgather rocks
2 - Kettleshulme - Windgather rocks
Saltersford - Jenkin Chapel
3 - Saltersford - Jenkin Chapel

No local visits found

All material © Cressbrook Multimedia 1997-2017