Cheddleton Flint Mills
Cheddleton lies 5km south of Leek, where the A520 road crosses the beautiful Churnet valley, which is deep and steep-sided here.
There has been a settlement here since at least Saxon times, since the river was an obvious source of both water and water power. One of the flint mills (which are now a museum) was originally a corn mill and dates from the 14th century.
On the Caldon Canal
Cheddleton began to expand with the construction of the Caldon Canal, in 1779. This was originally built to bring limestone from the quarry at Cauldon and linked Stoke on Trent (where it joined the Trent and Mersey canal) with Froghall, lower down the Churnet Valley. The canal brought improved communications and hence industry (such as flint-milling) to the area. The construction of the North Staffordshire railway in 1849 brought further industry to the area, which has remained to this day.
The Caldon Canal is now very popular and Cheddleton Station is the main centre for the Churnet Valley Railway, an excellent tourist attraction.
Besides the attractions of the Churnet Valley and Caldon canal, Cheddleton is also very handy for the southern edge of the Peak District National Park, with the Roaches and Staffordshire Moorlands not far away.